(414) 257-2575
11515 W. North Ave.,
Wauwatosa, WI 53226

Monthly Archives: May 2018

How a Chiropractor Can Help Your Headache

May 30, 2018

We’ve all experienced the discomfort and inconvenience of a headache. They can range from dull and throbbing to a debilitating pain, and even sometimes are accompanied by nausea or sensitivity to light. You may be experiencing a primary headache, such as tension, migraine, or cluster headaches. Primary headaches account for 95% of headaches, while the other 5%, known as secondary headaches.  There are three types of primary headaches, migraines, tension, and cluster headaches. Secondary headaches present because of another condition such as sinusitis, post-traumatic trauma, dehydration, dental problems, high blood pressure, or illness.

While some primary headaches are taken care of with pain medication, some can be alleviated by a chiropractor. According to the American Chiropractic Association, “the greatest majority of primary headaches are associated with muscle tension in the neck.” Scheduling an appointment with a chiropractor for recurring tension headaches or headaches originating in the neck can be beneficial in easing your headaches.

How can you prevent headaches? If you spend most of your day in a fixed position, such as in front of a computer, take a break from work or your activity every hour and stretch. Low-impact aerobics such as walking can help with headaches, and make sure you are staying hydrated and drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily, as dehydration can also cause headaches.

If you are taking precautions but still experiencing headaches due to neck pain, it may be time to see your chiropractor. You might wonder how a doctor that specializes in back pain can help you with your headaches. Through training, chiropractors are trained in how tension in the spine relates to other problems in different parts of the body besides the back. They can perform spinal manipulation or adjustments to ease your headache pain. They can also offer nutrition advice and advice on different postures both at home and at work, as well as exercises and other techniques to help relieve headache pain.

The team at Wignall-Kennedy Chiropractic Clinic are always here to help and are conveniently located in Wauwatosa. Call (414) 257-2575 today to schedule an appointment!

Phone: (414) 257-2575 | Fax: (414) 257-1778 | wignallkennedy@yahoo.com |
11515 W. North Ave., Wauwatosa , WI 53226